Friday, April 21, 2017

Amánung Sísuan

I have always admired my Cabalen (fellow Capampangan) who can write and speak in our native tongue so soulfully. I am also so envious of those who are studying Kulitan. Up until recently, I have always considered Amánung Sísuan (Breastfed Language) as a dialect instead of a Language. I grew up in a time when our Language was almost soley used by elders. Capampangan was seldom used in our own home.

The only person I spoke to in Capampangan was my mom. My dad often encouraged me to do Mass readings in Capampangan. I wasn't so enthused when I tried reading missalettes written in Capampangan. Damn, they were so hard to read. All I saw back then where Q's and C's on every word. I recently came across the words 'Quilo Balugbug Babi' and I didn't even know how to read or what 'Quilo' was (because I was reading it as Kilo). It turns out its Tagalog equivalent is 'Kilaw'. How I wish I had a deeper appreciation for our Language back when I was still a kid.

Still, I am thankful to have experienced scraping off the 'taba' from 'ema' and collecting it in a small jar. Thankful for learning how to stir 'biko' so it wouldn't get burnt. For having been able to enjoy Sherbet at Nepo and burgers from Lymer. And for the occasional visits (after shopping around) to 'Pisamban Apu'.

I am now married and have a kid. My wife hails from a different province. And my kid is the only one in the family who was born in Pampanga (I was born in Manila). Regrettably, I speak Capampangan even less now.

With the emergence of Call Centers and Super Malls, people from different provinces begin to migrate to and occupy Pampanga. Soon enough, our once proud people, way of life, accent, and food will be indistinguishable from the immigrants'. I am deeply saddened that everything Capampangan may soon be engulfed by the imperialist (see: Tagalog/Manileno) definition of 'Filipino'. Sadly, many still believe the twisted facts coming from imperial Manila, like Capampangan is merely a dialect. Because that detestable and generic melting pot (see: Imperial Manila) of nonsense has nothing unique and substantial to offer.

More on the Sisig Post:

Many non-Capampangans say let 'Sisig' have (distasteful) variants. We Capampangans firmly say NO! Sisig is distinct and it is unique, we won't let you turn it into some generic (and nauseating) dish.

Pizza has become so generic that everyone is allowed to put any garbage on it. Most people will even call it American Food, where in fact it is Italian. Why in the hell would you expect us Capampangans to let this happen to Sisig?

No comments: